Monday, June 1, 2009

My First English Date


AsSaLaMu'AlAiKuM !

An unprecedented world first was accomplished yesterday, Sunday 31 May 2009. I know, it may not sound great for most of you out there, but grand enough for this small-time English teacher. For the first time, I was presented the chance to 'date' a very dear friend where we chatted for almost two hours in nothing but English. Nothing big, huh? But, by my standards that's quite an achievement; considering that my 'date' is barely twelve years old and one of my brightest English students there is.

After a lapse of about 'two years', we managed to set up a nasi kandar picnic setting by the highway with plenty of both natural cricket music and man-made ones. The self-picked rendezvous was of course kept a secret to give my 'date' a sense of surprise. Boy! Somehow, he does appear bigger and matured compared to what he was when we last met. My assessment figures that, he must have got his surprise, more or less. And probably a bit of a shock for him too, due to the first-date-fright!

All in all, everything went on smoothly until I sent him home happily, complete with a couple of photos to my collection, for some future nostalgia of the sweet and memorable occasion.
SaLaM.


No comments:

Post a Comment